About The Author
Don and Carmen Farrell founded Micronesian Productions in 1981 with the publication of The Americanization of Guam: 1898 – 1918, the first volume in the Pictorial History of Guam series. This volume, Liberation – 1944, was published in 1984 in honor of the 40th anniversary of the Liberation of Guam. It recognizes not only the heroic efforts of the American fighting forces that recaptured the island, but also the sacrifices made by the Chamorros during this period in their island’s history. These two volumes were tied together with the publication of the tragic story of The Sacrifice of Guam: 1919 – 1943, in 1991. For the publication of this series, Mr. Farrell was awarded the Ancient Order of the Chamorri by Guam Governor Joseph F. Ada and a Resolution of Commendation from the 21st Guam Legislature.
Mr. Farrell wrote the first History of the Northern Mariana Islands for the Public School System of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, which was published in 1991. For this, Mr. Farrell was awarded the Governor’s Award for Excellence in the Arts by CNMI Governor Lorenzo I. Deleon Guerrero and a Resolution of Commendation from the 8th CNMI Senate.
In 2011, Mr. Farrell created History of the Mariana Islands to Partition for the CNMI Public School System, for which he was awarded the Governor’s Award for Excellence in the Arts by CNMI Governor Benigno Fitial.
Modern History of the Northern Mariana Islands was created for the CNMI Public School System in 2017 and remains the state adopted history textbook.
Don and Carmen have also published brief histories of Tinian, Saipan, Rota and Guam, which help promote the islands among visitors world-wide.
The Farrells live in the village of Marpo Heights on Tinian, Mrs. Farrell’s native island, where they are compiling the history of Tinian’s role in World War II..
You can read more about Don in the Wikipedia Article
CERTIFICATES / AWARDS / MEMBERSHIPS
- Resolution of Commendation; Guam Legislature
- Proclamation of Commendation; Governor of Guam
- Ancient Order of the Chamorri; Governor of Guam
- Governor’s Award for the Arts; CNMI
- Vice-Chairman; CNMI Board of Education
- 1994 - 1995
- Chairman; CNMI State Board of Education
- 1996 - 1997
- Governor's Award for Preservation of History
- Member, CNMI Humanities Council Board of Directors
- 2011 - 2017
- Vice-chairman, CNMI Historic Preservation Board
- 2012 – 2016
- Governor’s Award for Publications in History
- Court certified expert in Marianas History
- Liberation-1944: The Pictorial History of Guam, Micronesian Productions (1984)
- The Americanization of Guam: 1898-1918, Micronesian Productions (1986)
- Tinian: A Brief History, Micronesian Productions (1988)
- The Sacrifice of Guam: 1919-1943, Micronesian Productions (1991)
- The History of the Northern Mariana Islands, CNMI Public School System (1991)
- Saipan: A Brief History, Micronesian Productions (1992)
- Guam: A Brief History, Micronesian Productions (1994)
- Rota: A Brief History, Micronesian Productions (2003)
- History of the Mariana Islands to Partition (2012)
- Modern History of the Northern Mariana Islands (2017)
- Tinian and The Bomb (2017)
ARTICLES / ESSAYS
- “The Northern Marianas: Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory” Glimpses of Micronesia and the Western Pacific (1979: Volume 19: 4)
- “Spare The Bullets: Save our People” Glimpses of Micronesia and the Western Pacific (1980: Volume 20: 4)
- “A Marriage Made in Micronesia” Guam Business News (November 1988)
- “The Partition of the Marianas: A Diplomatic History, 1898-1919” Isla: A Journal of Micronesian Studies (2.2 Dry Season, 1994: 273-301)
- "Operations Tearaway & Tattersalls: The Battle for The Northern Mariana Islands." Chapter 8 in Toni L. Carrell, (Ed.) CNMI Maritime Context: A Maritime History and Archaeological Overview of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Ships of Discovery, 2012.
- Numerous articles in: Pacific Daily News; The Guam Tribune; Saipan Tribune; Marianas Variety (1979-present)